Now that the Welsh population is permitted to travel further afield that 5 miles from home, many motorcyclists will undoubtedly be looking forward to their first significant ride for months.
As well as the usual safety precautions to avoid collisions and breakdowns, we now have some extra issues to consider to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Ways to keep yourself safe:
- Don’t take to the road if you, or a member of your household is displaying symptoms of COVID-19, has tested positive or are awaiting the results of a test
- As ever, before leaving home carry out a POWER check to make sure your bike is ready for the road - Petrol, Oil, Water, Electrics, Rubber
- Carry the necessary protective kit with you, such as a face covering, gloves and hand sanitiser but please dispose of any used items responsibly or take them home with you
- Plan your route so it’s not too long; you need to be able to return home by the end of the day and you’ll also need to know where the next public conveniences can be found
- Have a full tank of fuel or keep fuel stops to a minimum
- Always maintain good social distancing during any stops (the 2-metre rule still applies in Wales)
- Avoid busy areas and try to stay outdoors during rest breaks
- Take your own refreshments with you
- Avoid using motorcycle meeting areas at this time - there’s a greater risk of infection where groups are present
- Please ride legally and carefully at all times to keep the burden of injury off the emergency services and the NHS
You can find out more about COVID-19 and how to get tested here.